Thursday, May 5, 2011

#6 If you're adopted from another country you can't call that your home country while here in the U.S, because that means your a bad U.S. citizen.

Hey everyone,
So instead of doing this lie next week I thought today would be the best day for it. Especially since today is Cinco de Mayo! Lie number 6 is, "If you're adopted from another country you can't call that your home country while here in the U.S, because that means your a bad U.S. citizen." Okay this is one of those things that I get all the time so let me explain how the conversation usually goes.

Somehow the other person brings up Mexico...
Me:Oh that's my home country.
Other person: Oh? (With this really weird look on their face)
Me: Yeah I was adopted from there!
Other person: Oh I see...(Has this face that says "but you are here in the U.S.A.!" and usually leave to talk to someone else.)

The thing I tried to tell people now is the town they were born at or lived a big part of their life is their home town right? Well I was born in Mexico so it is like my home town but instead it's a country. I do feel for my home country, I mean with how horrible the drug lord stuff is going on in Mexico yes a part of me aches to see Mexico fight this and stop it. (Also why I wanted so badly to go do to Mexico on the mission trip my church had. The story of that is here, here and here.)But let me first say yes I am a U.S.A. citizen, and I am VERY proud to be an American! I am lucky to have two countries, and their cultures. I have Mexico as my home country and I get to take a bit of what I like from their culture. Then I have U.S. as my home now and I get to take a bit of this culture. I get the best of both worlds! =) This does not make me a bad U.S. citizen it just means I have a bit of both countries in me. Next time someone says something like "Oh that's my home country..." don't give them that weird look, or any grief about it. Just because we have another country does not mean we're not good U.S. citizens! Just look at me, most people know I am proud to say I am an American and I still have a place in my heart for Mexico. Hopefully I didn't beat a dead horse too much, but this is one thing that can drive me nuts! Have a good rest of the week and weekend!!
oh and HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!!!
~Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment